'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer' by Patrick Süskind



When I was first lent this book by a friend at work, my mind was void of all preconceptions - I was only told that 'it's very gothic' and therefore something I would enjoy. It was only when I started reading the book (the blurb doesn't give much away) that I realised how dark the premise of the book actually is. 
The protagonist of the novel, Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, possseses the extrodinary gift of having the 'best nose in Paris', despite not possessing a scent of his own - a distinguishing feature amongst the 'totally uninteresting, repulsive' smell of those around him. Set in eighteenth-century Paris, the novel follows Grenouille's experiences as a perfumer within the various circumstances that he encounters. As Grenouille's desire for the perfect scent heighten, Grenouille attempts to claim the scent of his victims with an intention to preserve them forever. Consequently, murder becomes central to Grenouille's craft. 
I found Süskind's depiction of Grenouille to be one of my favourite things about the novel; the heartless nature of the character makes him appear terrifying, yet fascinating. Although he is almost void of all emotion and unable to love, Süskind suceeds in making the reader sympathise with his character in a way that I regard to be comparable to the character of Grendel in 'Beowulf'. His vulnerability is questionable, but it begs the question: why? Impressively, Süskind achieves this with little character development. The dark tone of the novel explores the relationship between individuality and appropriation in a highly unique way that makes it an incredibly enjoyable read.
I was unaware of this book beforehand, but I am so glad that I was lent it by chance. 'Perfume' is a captivating thriller and a book that I will be most certainly reading again. 
Link to 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer' by Patrick Süskind:


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts