My Top 5 Things to Do in Barcelona

Barcelona is one of my favourite places. I am very fortunate to have two lovely friends that live there, Alba and Neus, who guide me through the wonderful city. Generally, I tend to go for 3-5 days which is the perfect amount of time to spend quality time with my friends and explore Barcelona. Their families are always so welcoming to me and I love getting to experience their way of life - regular servings of jamón ibérico is something that I can easily adjust to! Over my trips, I have accumulated my top five places to visit - none of which are in any order. Barcelona has something for everyone to enjoy which makes it the perfect place for a family holiday, or simply a weekend trip away!

1. Sagrada Família
Perhaps one of Barcelona's most famous tourist attractions, the Sagrada Família Cathedral stands tall at an impressive 172.5m. Construction of the Sagrada Família began in 1882 by architect, Francisco de Paula del Villar, until it was taken over by Antoni Gaudí in 1883. Gaudi intended the cathedral to demonstrate his admiration of God; the verticality of the towers symbolise an elevation towards God, as well as the intertwining of architecture and biblical imagery. Sadly, Gaudi died before the completion of the construction, but his spirit is embedded within the magnificent architecture. Although the construction remains unfinished, it is impossible to believe when you step inside and experience the magnitude of the cathedral. The attention to detail is outstanding and unlike any other cathedral that I have visited before - few places have made me feel as peaceful as the Sagrada Família. We chose to have a tour guide, which was a great decision as our tour guide was very informative and patient with the group (there are a lot of stairs). Religiously, I may be biased with the effect that the Sagrada Família had on me, but the magnificent architecture is sure to overwhelm any visitor. Prices are reasonable and range from €15 to €29, depending on the experience chosen. The Sagrada Família is the perfect experience for all ages. 


Photo credit: https://www.regiondo.com/sagrada-familia-visit-in-barcelona





2. Park Güell
Park Güell is another one of Antoni Gaudí's impressive creations. Located in the Collserola mountain range, the public park was originally intended to be a housing estate, although it was unsuccessful. In 1926, it opened as a public park comprising of the gardens and Gaudi House Museum. The views from Park Güell overlook the Barcelona skyline and ocean - a beautiful view that is very popular for tourist photos. A general ticket is €7.50 for an adult, but children from 7-12 can get a reduced rate of €5.25.

Photo credit: http://justfunfacts.com/interesting-facts-about-park-guell/




3. Chök Barcelona
I discovered Chök through my friend, Alba! Located in Career de les Ramelleres, Chök is an amazing chocolate café that does the most amazing kronuts. Alba and I love to visit this place, and we are big fans of their Instagram page! Due to my love of Chök, my friends were very kind to me one year and presented me with a Chök kronut upon my arrival as a late birthday present. As well as kronuts, Chök also sells; doughnuts, handmade chocolates/ truffles, brownies, cookies and many other tasty pastries! This small café is definitely one of my favourite food places for an afternoon pick-me-up.




4. Happy Pills
Whenever I catch the Metro into Placa de Catalunya, I always have two stores in mind: the Disney store, and Happy Pills! Happy Pills is a vibrant sweet shop with plenty of 'pick and mix' style sweets to choose from. However, the wonder of Happy Pills is that it allows customers to present their products in 'medicine' bottles that can be presented as gifts to loved ones -the sweets act as 'happy pills'. Customers are able to choose the size container that suits them and customise the bottle by choosing one of the many sticker options. Sticker options exist, such as: 'happiness mini-dose', 'because you are the best', 'for when the wifi's down', 'formula to change bad mood to good mood', as well as many more! I always make sure that I go to Happy Pills to buy sweets for my younger brother and sister. The shop was also very useful for me when I experienced a bad turn in Barcelona. After my bad moment, Alba came with me to Happy Pills and my sticker read: 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'. Although it is just a sweet shop, Happy Pills brings a lot of joy and is a real gem in Rambla de Catalunya. It is the perfect place to buy a souvenir for loved ones or even a treat for yourself!





5. Bunkers del Carmel 
Bunkers del Carmel was the first excursion that Alba, Neus and I went on together in Barcelona; therefore, it has the most sentimental value to me. It was a very surreal moment to be in a beautiful Spanish location together considering the fact that we initially met in North Africa. Bunkers del Carmel is a viewpoint in the mountains that provides exceptional views of the city. We went in the evening to view the sunset, which provided a beautiful atmosphere - it is mesmerising to watch the world go by whilst being up in the mountains. Many locals and tourists take food or drinks up to the viewpoint to relax in the peaceful environment. Bunkers del Carmel is an ideal tourist destination as it's free of charge, but promises beautiful views. I would recommend visiting at either sunrise or sunset. 





So, these are my top five places to visit in Barcelona! It was difficult to narrow it down as there are so many wonderful places to explore. Barcelona is a beautiful place, and it is even more special when you are able to experience the city with great people. 

My latest Barcelona trip: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRCwdw1Kf18&t=2s

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts